The Death Camp in Treblinka (SS-Sonderkommando Treblinka)
During the German occupation, Treblinka, which was located by the Siedlce–Małkinia railway, was in the Sokolów Kreishauptmannschaftin the Warsaw District (Distrikt Warschau) of the General Government (Generalgouvernement).
Since June 1941 there was the Treblinka I penal labor camp — a site of detention for Poles and Jews. It was under administration of the SS and Police Leader of the Warsaw District, and it closed in July 1944.
From the spring of 1942 to the all of 1943 in Treblinka there was also the SS-Sonderkommando Treblinka (the death camp also known as Treblinka II) — one of the three camps organized within the framework of Operation “Reinhardt” (Aktion Reinhardt) aimed at extermination of the GG Jews. It was administered by the SS and Police Leader in the Lublin District, Odilo Globocnik, who was in charge of Operation “Reinhardt”. The death camp in Treblinka was the site of the extermination of Jews from the Warsaw District. The first transports arrived on July 23, 1942 from the Warsaw ghetto. Treblinka also received transports of Jews from other Polish cities and towns, from Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czechoslovakia, France, Greece, Yugoslavia, and the USSR. The Jews were killed in four gas chambers using exhaust fumes from diesel engines. The corpses of the victims were buried in mass graves (“Death Pits”). The cremation of the corpses (both from new transports and from the transports already buried in the “Death Pits”) began in late fall 1942 and lasted until the fall of 1943.
The commandants of the Treblinka camp in chronological order: SS-Obersturmführer Irmfried Eberl, SS-Obersturmführer Franz Stangl and SS-Untersturmführer Kurt Franz. The personnel consisted ofSS-men and guards from the SS training camp in Trawniki.
The prisoners revolted on August 2, 1943. About 200 of them escaped, but most died during the chase. The revolt sped up the decision to close the camp. The dismantling of the camp facilities began in September 1943. The area was then plowed and sowed over. The surviving prisoners were sent to Sobibór.
The number of Jewish victims of the Treblinka camp was at least 750,000.